We enjoy bringing to you the best content on the Internet on career and career related subject. This one is a true gem on personal branding created by Lida Citroën for LinkedIn Learning.
To quote Lida “If I asked five people who know you what they think you’re good at, or what they think makes you unique, what would they say? Would they give you the same answer that you might say about yourself? Personal branding puts the intention, and the focus in your reputation, and ensures that other people see you the way you want.” She then continues, “So when you think about the personal branding process I like to describe that it takes the randomness out of your career and allows you to articulate a game plan and a strategy that helps you make smart decisions.”
Executives understand the importance of properly managing a company’s public image, however, they often forget that they themselves are brands.
The video of 33m 24s is the perfect summary and approach to personal branding and it includes the following sections:
What is a personal brand?
Personal branding is your professional and personal footprint. It is your reputation and ability to exert influence and as such, it gives a clue to recruiters what they may expect if they hire you. It consequently may foster career opportunities or impede them.
How do you consciously create your brand then?
First, you need to realize what your current brand is like: in other words, how others perceive you. Gather feedback from your colleagues, managers, clients, etc.
Then, define your end goal. Always bear in mind who you want to appeal to: your target audience.
What next? Marketing and positioning your brand!
Create a strategy to fill in the gap between how you are perceived currently and how you would like to be perceived. Some tips on how to do it:
- identify KPIs to know if your strategy is effective
- network consciously & authentically
- use your online presence to strategically create your brand (here some tips on how to start with your LinkedIn profile)
Our three most favorite lines of the video:
- when setting goals: “Just because you can, “doesn’t mean you should, and just because you “want do, doesn’t mean you can.”
- when defining your brand: “What is so core to your moral fiber and your DNA that if it wasn’t there, you wouldn’t be you?”
- when communicating your brand: “Think about what you really believe in, and get really specific. Stay away from the fluff.”
So, stay away from the fluff and get concrete! Willing to consciously create your personal brand but unsure where to start? Do you need someone to manage your online presence? Would you like to talk confidentially to a Career Angel about it? Send an email to Bichl.Sandra (at)CareerAngels.eu or click here. Please note: the Skype call of approx. 45 min is confidential, non-obligatory and free of charge.