To make a long story short – let’s look at the numbers: reviewing our statistics for 2015, speculative application (sending your CV directly to your potential superior) has been the most effective way of looking for a job as it generated 50% of accepted job offers whilst Executive Search firms generated 30%, and Networking 20% respectively.
Important: that holds true equally across all of our client segments – out of which 67% are board members or report to the board on their respective (inter)national levels.
Writing directly to your potential boss has several advantages:
- there is not headhunter involved → no fee has to be paid
- access to the hidden job market: getting right to the source, you might address a need that has been on the decision maker’s mind but that they decided not to articulate yet within the organization itself due to long processes of approval and budgeting
- faster as there’s no intermediary that often slows the process down
- immediate feedback regarding your potential suitability
- you communicate pro-activity
- HR & HH often stick more rigidly to the requirements, while it has been our observation that decision makers are more flexible, especially when they see somebody they “like” in terms of a bigger picture
- your email does not get lost somewhere in HR that may or may not forward your application
an opportunity to extend your network short, medium and long term
Though, first you need to find that identify the correct person and then find their email address. This more often than not requires time and patience and knowing how to go about it. A positive side effect: while researching, you can find out more about the company you are interested in and the market in general.
You will find detailed instructions on how to do it here: Email Address Search
IMPORTANT: this has to be done right. The application documents have to be flawless and the email well written! Otherwise: don’t bother.
If you are not sure whether your CV is perfect & flawless, feel free to request a complimentary CV Report: send an email with your CV to Bichl.Sandra (at) CareerAngels.eu. Subject: CV Report. You will receive it with market-relevant tips within 3-5 business days.