Spend 6 min and 12 seconds on watching this TED talk by Jason Shen who speaks about how the hiring systems of today are failing in recognizing true talent and often (don’t) select candidates based on prejudices. To quote Jason, “The hiring systems we built in the 20th century are failing us and causing us to miss out on people with incredible potential”.
“We should all be expecting to do jobs we’ve never done before for the rest of our careers” – there are 3 pieces of advice on how to do better:
- “Expand your search. If we only look for talent in the same places we always do – gifted child programs, Ivy League schools, prestigious organizations – we’re going to get the same results we always have”.
- “Hire for performance”. Let candidates demonstrate their skills before they get hired. Example: have a marketing manager plan a launch campaign for a new product. If you are the one looking for a job: find ways to show your unique skills and abilities before an employer asks you for it. In other words: “talk to the sceptic before he talks to you”.
- “Get the bigger picture”. Walk a mile in someone else’s shoes before you judge them. The same applies to recruiting: before you label a candidate a “job-hopper” because of a short stint on their CV, find out the context.
To quote Jason one more time, “Until we get a holistic view of someone, our judgment of them will always be flawed. Let’s stop equating experience with ability, credentials with competence. Let’s stop settling for the safe, familiar choice and leave the door open for someone who could be amazing”.
At Career Angel, we’ve recognized that the system is flawed and have, therefore, e.g. eliminated interviews and we’ve massively (!) adjusted our CV screening. Thanks to that we:
- went from 30-50% rotation to 0%
- have immensely reduced recruitment costs
- have a more diverse talent pool
- truly engaged team members who are happy to be here
If you want to know more, read our full article called “Decreasing Employee Rotation”.
If you’d like to discuss which solutions could work for your organization, get in touch with Anna.Zadrozna (at) CareerAngels.eu!