This topic returns regularly: age discrimination when searching for a job.
In order to be successful at job hunting, the stats tell us that experienced managers who are 50+ need:
- approx. 2 weeks longer to find a job
- to build longer target lists of companies when applying
- to be more selective / thoughtful when preparing said list
There are also tips on how to improve the CV, in order not to scream “I’m close to retirement”:
- don’t include your birth date
- focus on relevant experience / the last 10-15 years
- add proof that you are up to date with trends & technology, as e.g.: add a personalized link to your well-prepared LinkedIn profile, attend courses on “digital… something” that fits your role / industry and add it to your CV
To deepen the topic, we highly recommend the following links:
- “6 Helpful Executive Resume Guidelines to Avoid Age Discrimination” by BlueSteps – though please note that we do not agree with keeping the CV to max. 2 pages
- “The Age Issue”
- tips and advice from a successful 50+ job hunter
- Dream job after 50 – a case by SpenglerFox
If you are 50+ and considering change or in the middle of one and you’d like to confidentially discuss your options & job hunting strategy, feel free to get in touch with us by sending an email to Bichl.Sandra (at) CareerAngels.eu or by clicking here.
Please note: the call is confidential, non-obligatory and free of charge.