“Job Search Goals + USP” is one of our videos [click here] on our YouTube channel. Sandra Bichl talks about how to set a realistic job search goal and how to position yourself as a candidate on an unstable employer’s market. Covered topics include:
- The influence COVID-19 has on today’s job market; comparison of the number of job ads published on LinkedIn at the beginning of the pandemic and then (if it’s not relevant to you, skip the first 15 min).
- Realistic goal setting: what’s the complexity and duration of a job hunting process (before and now), followed by real-life examples.
- How to choose the right job offer / career path from so many available on the market; in depth description and instructions to use the “Value & Parameter Bidding Tool”
- Available tests (free and paid) for those who really can’t decide or need more help.
- Defining your USP: how to prove you are a valuable candidate and why you should be chosen out of hundreds (or thousands) of other competitors; the famous “Why should we hire you” question
These questions are addressed during the Q&A session:
“I was an entrepreneur for 5 years, working on big risky projects related to events and branding. Can I work in a corporation or an advertising agency? I feel people fear me. They say I am amazing, but not their fit. How can I fix it?”
“How can MBA students position themselves? Do they have some advantage when changing career or industry?”
“How long should you stay at a company before changing? What’s the minimum?”
“Is it difficult for a foreigner to change their job now in light of COVID-19? Is it a good time to apply for international offers?”
“Why do recruiters consider managing a group of 3/4 people different from a group of 10/15 people?”
“What is the impact of recommendations? How is a LinkedIn reference different from the email reference?”
“How do you define a career goal as a junior? Is it more difficult to be selective?”
“What if I don’t have so many successes, projects, numbers, achievements – even after several years of work? What if I don’t know how to communicate what I have achieved?”
“What if a non–standard candidate who is trying to change fields is not invited to interviews (after several applications)? Can an improved CV / cover letter help?” [Spoiler: only partly]
“I have several years of management experience across different industries. I get far in every recruitment process, but then often get the reply that my profile doesn‘t fit the position. The recruiter almost always seems convinced (and I always pass several interview rounds) but the management tells that my profile doesn’t fit the position. How can I overcome that?”
“I think my degree does not reflect business knowledge I gained and skills I have. Am I right that my degree can be a problem?”
“How do you position yourself when you have a gap in the CV? I travelled for 1.5 years. Leave it in? Delete it?”
Don’t forget to subscribe!
If you are an experienced manager who needs support in defining their next career goal or formulating their Unique Selling Proposition, request a free career consultation by sending an email to Bichl.Sandra@CareerAngels.eu or fill out the form here. For efficiency, add your CV and availability for a Skype call.