A good photo can visually carry the entire CV – as you can base the color scheme on it or use it to solidify your personal branding.
Important: with today’s quality of smartphone cameras you can easily take a good photo with your phone. Here are 7 tips on how to do that:
1. Have someone else take your photo. Selfies are not an option!
2. Use a neutral background. Ideally a plain, bright wall. Nothing too distracting. Pay special attention to any objects in the background.
3. Use even lighting. Avoid direct sunlight and shadows. Never outdoors.
4. Dress properly. Choose an outfit you would wear for an important interview. Important: your clothes should ideally contrast with the background
5. Make sure the photographer holds the phone steady. The image should be of a good quality and sharp.
6. Choose a proper frame. Leave some space above your head and both (!) shoulders.
7. Look straight at the camera & choose a natural pose. No arms crossing. Your hands should not be a part of the photo in any way.
Watch out for and avoid the following common mistakes:
• bad quality (e.g. blurred, shadows in the background or on the face)
• inappropriate outfit (which includes both over and under-dressed)
• distracting background
• unnatural pose
• anything that is not professional (cut out from wedding or a conference, with alcohol in the frame etc.)
Here a couple of examples:
Some might wonder why we would reject the third photo from the left. Yes, it would be good for LinkedIn, but you can’t do this:
In other words: in order to extend the background in a simple Text Editor (no need for Photoshop or alike), you need a photo with “enough space” next to the shoulders for “crop” and “extend”. That’s the reason why the mentioned photo is not appropriate to convert it into a header.
How’s your CV? Are you an experienced manager with min. 10 years of experience? Would you like us to review it? Feel free to request a complimentary CV Report by clicking here or sending an email to Bichl.Sandra (at) CareerAngels.eu; subject: CV Report / photo